Student’s finals celebration ends with garage fire in Niles

One Niles student’s celebration of finishing his finals may have accidentally set his garage on fire — and damaged two houses in the process.

The fire, on the 8300 block of Washington Street in Niles, brought out both the Niles and Morton Grove fire departments on the afternoon of June 9. Though the Niles fire truck was able to extinguish the fire, the garage was gutted beyond repair and both the house and another house further south were damaged.

A 17-year-old boy told Niles police had burned the some of his final exam study guides in the fire pit of his back yard to celebrate finishing final exams. After pouring water over the fire to extinguish it, he dumped the ashes into a garbage can in the garage, thinking the fire was extinguished. Approximately three hours later, the garage was on fire.

Niles Fire Department Chief Steve Borkowski couldn’t confirm at press time if the fire was caused by the ashes from the fire pit. The Fire Department is still investigating the fire, he said.

0 Comments

Do you have the scariest house on the block? Or the cutest kid in costume? Share your Halloween photos with us! Click here to submit them.


Modal